"Into the Surface", an installation at Bellevue Arts Museum, 2010



My work investigates the importance of the inherent link between person and place. It is both a record and reaction of my observations and interactions to and with different surroundings. Focusing on the individual as a component of community and society at large, looking at how being a part of these things effects who we are. Questioning the way that I perceive and understand others and myself through place, I capture what I have discovered to tell silent stories of contemporary life. The transformation of a photograph into a relief engraving on glass takes a passing moment and makes it permanent in a way that reminds us of a dream or distant memory. The long and meticulous work of carving through layers of glass to reveal an image brings me intimately close to the subject and my perceived memory of the initial moment caught through the camera lens. Ultimately, making a window that sits on a memory of a time and place open for anyone to peer into.

No comments:
Post a Comment